WDFW: A portion of the Skagit River to open for sockeye salmon fishing

By on June 8, 2024

Action: Opens sockeye salmon retention a portion of the Skagit River.

Effective date: June 16 – July 15, 2024.

Species affected: Sockeye salmon.

Location: Skagit River (Skagit County) from the Highway 536 Bridge (Memorial Highway Bridge) in Mount Vernon to the Dalles Bridge at Concrete (CRC 830).

Rules: Minimum size is 12 inches. Daily limit is four sockeye salmon. Release all salmon other than sockeye salmon. Night closure in effect. Selective gear rules are not in effect for salmon. Selective gear rules remain in effect for gamefish. If anglers are not following selective gear rules, all species other than sockeye salmon must be released.

Reason for action: Harvestable numbers of sockeye salmon are forecast to return to the Baker system.

Additional information: Please see pamphlet for gamefish rules in this area. The 2023-24 Washington regulation pamphlet is in effect through June 30, 2024. The 2024-25 Washington regulation pamphlet will be available soon and goes into effect July 1, 2024.

The sockeye salmon harvest guideline in the river fishery will be 25 percent of the state share. The remaining 75 percent will be reserved for Baker Lake opportunity. Current river sport share is over 4,000 sockeye salmon, but the exact number could change with in-season run-size updates.

There will be periodic closures to prevent gear conflicts during tribal fisheries. In-season closures will be announced as soon as possible. Consider downloading the FishWA app or signing up for fishery change notifications by email on the WDFW mailing lists.

The fishery will be actively monitored by WDFW. Anglers are asked to cooperate with creel personnel collecting catch information. Monitoring and evaluation of fisheries is an important part of ensuring conservation goals for salmon are met.

Information contact: Mill Creek Office (Region 4), 425-775-1311.

Salmon University Staff
Salmon University is the top online resource for fishing in the Pacific Northwest. Follow us on Twitter @salmonuniv for the latest news and other updates.